British Versus American English
Oh!God save Nigeria. We are in between both. When I type, "Honour" onto my screen and the application that I am using to type the project underlines it as a mark of error, I feel embarrassed. I mean, it is also the same thing as Honor.
We are Nigerians!Right now here, we have our primary dialects and languages and English language is not our mother tongue but it has been made the official language of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. So, you see, we are trying at that. It is even good that they made English language our official language because it makes for easy transactions in doing business on the global stage. So, we can work, learn and earn.
I know that I am not the only one passing through this ordeal but it can be remedied because some people claim that it is better if we make use of the British version of English while writing in a competition, business or political arena because Nigeria was colonized by the Great Britain and some people also said that the best thing to do is to choose one version to use in each text. For example, if you choose American English, use it throughout so as to avoid missing things up.
In all, one thing can be learnt here. Something can be wrong in one place and yet right in another but let their be a balance. What you do and see as an easy job is what another person sees as a difficult one. Though there is nothing wrong with working to achieve one's goal in a sane setting but different people have different attitudes towards it. Some show seriousness, some do not.
Everybody is expected to work hard but those who found smart ways of doing things and being fast at that are not wrong, just don't be dubious!
0 comments:
Post a Comment